If you are a Customer Service Manager, you will need to train your team. The good news is with e-learning it has never been easier to create your own course and keep your customer service agents engaged.
SCORM has become the industry standard for e-learning and and there are plenty of tools to help you create your training content easily, such as Captivate, Articulate Storyline, Mochaberry, and more.
There are many SCORM authoring tools out there, each with its strengths and weaknesses, and the number of options can be overwhelming when you’re trying to find the best one for your needs. In this post, we’ve outlined the five best SCORM authoring tools so you can choose the one that’s right for you.
Before we dive into the crux of this article, what is a SCORM authoring tool?
What is a SCORM Authoring Tool?
SCORM is an acronym for Shareable Content Object Reference Model, a specification for packaging and transmitting learning content in a digital environment.
A SCORM compliant authoring tool, also called a COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) authoring tool, enables users to package Web-based content such as courseware into individual components that can be reused across multiple websites.
Here Are 5 Best SCORM Authoring Tool
1. iSpring Suite
iSpring Suite is a powerful eLearning authoring software that enables you to create engaging and effective eLearning courses quickly and easily. It offers a wide range of features and tools that allow you to create interactive and responsive courses with ease.
It also offers a wide range of slide types, including text slides, image slides, audio slides, and video slides.
You can also add interactive quiz questions to your courses and track learners’ progress and performance. It helps you create adaptive online courses that adjust to learners’ needs and abilities.
- Easy to use – even those without prior eLearning experience can quickly learn how to use the tool.
- Flexible – the tool can create various types of eLearning content, from simple quiz modules to more complex courses.
- Supports multiple file formats – you can import files in various formats, including PowerPoint, video, audio, and images.
- The software offers limited support for SCORM 1.2 content – you can only create questions and answers using the tool, but there is no way to add interactive media objects or assessments.
2. IMS Learning Tools
IMS Learning Tools is a market leader in providing authoring tools to create SCORM courses. The platform enables you to build interactive content with audio, video, images, and web links. Users can easily create quizzes, demonstrations, and simulations using various difficulty levels.
You can also configure interactive content so that learners receive instant feedback on how they’re performing within an activity. IMS also provides outstanding support for authors to help them learn how to use its tools effectively.
- Integrates with popular authoring tools such as Captivate, Camtasia, and Lectora
- Records voice narration over videos; users can also insert video clips.
- Provides an intuitive interface for creating interactive assessments such as quizzes, simulations, and surveys
- Users can drag-and-drop items to arrange content in any order they want on a page. You also have options to add text boxes and shapes, video files, weblinks, and PDFs into your content.
- You can only preview content on a mobile device; you cannot modify or test it. You have to download content and view it on a PC to make changes.
- Although IMS Learning Tools provides a decent level of support, some users might need more instruction in using its features effectively.
3. Articulate Storyline
Articulate Storyline is a powerful SCORM tool for creating interactive, e-learning content. It’s an easy-to-use authoring environment with fantastic support for every type of learning scenario—whether it’s synchronous, asynchronous, or even highly interactive simulations.
The tool comes with pre-built responsive templates to create multi-screen courses to deliver your content wherever it needs to go—no matter what device learners are using.
- Easy to use for beginners and experienced e-learning professionals
- Supports both low-tech and high-tech interactions
- Great customer support (email, phone, forums)
- Provides flexibility in course structure and interaction
- Allows one person to create multiple courses quickly
- Requires a yearly fee after the free trial period ends
- Limited to one device at a time with their free version
- Does not allow editing of content online with their free version (though you can download it, edit in Word and reupload)
4. Captivate by Adobe
Adobe Captivate is one of the most well-known tools out there; Adobe Captivate offers a wide array of options for anyone interested in creating eLearning content.
Some of its significant strengths include stylized templates, built-in motion graphics (which can also be tweaked), as well as a drag and drop interface. On top of that, it is browser friendly, allowing for easy sharing and customization across various platforms.
- A vast amount of built-in templates
- There are also several options for importing images or creating new ones from scratch, allowing for an almost infinite level of customization.
- Drag and drop interface
- Easy to use even for non-tech savvy individuals
- While there are some prebuilt animations, they are not very customizable
- Though you can use it to create videos, it requires a third-party program
Elucidat is a full-featured, low-cost SCORM authoring tool. The software offers comprehensive features that include anything useful to create any learning or training course.
This tool is available for both PC and Mac computers. In addition, Elucidat also allows you to publish directly to mobile devices. The software works on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and even Ubuntu Linux operating systems.
- All in one authoring tool
- Course publishing to mobile devices
- Additional features include drag and drop, action menus, and button navigation
- Flexible project management tools
- Price is very affordable for both new and existing customers
- Limited 3rd party plugins
- Updates are available only every six months or so
Choosing a SCORM authoring tool is a big decision, and you should think carefully about your needs, likes, and dislikes before choosing. You might need to pay for some training if you have no experience, but once you have got to grips with your new tool, it becomes an important part of your course authoring toolkit.