This Mental Health Awareness Week (15 – 19 May) Samaritans is marking the milestone of having equipped over 1,500 people in responding to vulnerable customers in the last year alone.
Samaritans, the charity that provides emotional support 24/7, provides a range of courses through Samaritans Training and Engagement Programmes (STEP).
Increasingly, customer-facing staff are on the frontline in responding to vulnerable customers. Conversations with Vulnerable People, one of Samaritans Training and Engagement Programmes (STEP) courses, equips people including those in customer-facing roles with the confidence and tools to spot the signs and signpost someone at risk.
Lisa, a Senior Patient Experience Manager at a large pharmaceutical company, recently invested in the course to support her team. Lisa says:
“In our line of work, we are pretty good listeners, but I think the course pushed the team to think even more about our active listening skills. It really boosted our confidence in having those emotional conversations with patients, and it gave us the tools and skills to use before going into those conversations. Having training provided by Samaritans, who are trusted and recognised in this area of work, was really important.
This year, Samaritans marks its 70th year of being there to listen. Samaritans Training and Engagement Programmes (STEP) builds on the charity’s decades of experience, to bring vital knowledge and skills into the workplace.
“Increasingly, staff and teams are interacting with vulnerable people. Investing in Samaritans Training and Engagement Programmes (STEP) gives organisations and businesses greater flexibility to top up their employees’ existing skills through one-off training courses, or to invest in building their people and team’s knowledge and confidence to identify and support someone struggling to cope.”
Jason Jaspal, Assistant Director for Business Development, Samaritans
Funds generated through every purchase of a Samaritans Training and Engagement Programmes (STEP) courses goes towards Samaritans’ lifesaving 24-hour helpline, ensuring the charity can continue to be there for anyone struggling to cope. Other courses available include Building Resilience and Wellbeing and Managing Suicidal Conversations.
Samaritans is a charity in the UK and Ireland that provides emotional support 24 hours a day.
About Samaritans Training and Engagement Programmes
- Samaritans Training and Engagement Programmes supports organisations to train their people and teams to spot and support anyone struggling to cope. The courses are delivered by expert trainers and funds raised go towards running Samaritans’ 24-hour emotional support helpline.
- Courses available include Managing Suicidal Conversations, Conversations with Vulnerable People and Building Resilience and Wellbeing. Additional courses include Listening Skills, Understanding and Responding to Anger, Understanding and Responding to Grief, Recognising and Managing Trauma, and Supporting People via the Written Word.
- To book your place or find out more information please visit org/STEP.
- Anyone can contact Samaritans FREE any time from any phone on 116 123, even a mobile without credit. This number won’t show up on your phone bill. Or you can email email@example.com visit samaritans.org
- Every 10 seconds, Samaritans responds to a call for help.
- Samaritans is a charity and it’s the public’s kind donations and around 23,000 volunteers that mean we are always there for anyone struggling to cope. Find out how you can support us or volunteer with us.
- You can follow Samaritans on social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.